In BizTalk terms, a BizTalk Application is a feature of the BizTalk server that simplifies the process of deploying, managing and troubleshooting business solutions. The BizTalk application is a logical grouping of items referred to as "Artifacts". There are different types of artifacts in a BizTalk solution such as:
- Receive Locations/Receive Ports
- Send Ports/Send Port Groups
The application list view can be seen by clicking the Applications link under the Application Support tab in the Menu panel on the left side of the screen. Click on the application name to view the status of the artifacts associated with the application.
The applications list view contains the following information:
- Application Name - The name of the application. Click the application name to view the status of different associated artifacts.
- Status - Current running status of the application (Started/Stopped/Partially Stopped/Not Applicable)
- Configured - Whether the application is configured or not. If the application is configured, a visual cue (tick mark) will be visible in the column.
- Suspended Instances - The number of suspended instances within the application
- Description - A detailed description of the application. If the application is a System application, the description field will contain the text as "System Application"
- References - Provides information on the application references. For instance, consider an application 'Contoso'. The References section provides information on the list of applications that Contoso depends on, and the list of applications that are dependent on Contoso.
- Refresh - Refreshes the application information in the list view
- Export to Excel - Allows users to export the list of available applications for the user along with their current operational and configuration status. Click Export to Excel link to download the report in excel format to your computer.
The application dashboard page helps the support person to easily see the health of the BizTalk application from a single view. To view the Applications Dashboard, click the expand button against the Application Support tab and select the Applications link in the menu panel.
Let's understand the Application Dashboard page in detail:
- Home - Displays the count and status of Receive Ports/Receive Locations, Send Ports/Send Locations, Orchestrations and Host Instances
- Artifacts - Displays the summary of different artifacts that are associated with the application such as Receive Locations, Send Ports, Orchestrations, and so on. Also Policies & Rules associated for the applications can be viewed. For this, the user doesn't need Business Rules Composer access. Click the artifact name to navigate to the screen where you can see the list of artifacts, their status, and other details.
- Artifact Details - Clicking the artifact details icon display the artifacts section where user can perform activities on the selected artifact (such as Enable/Disable and so on)
- Refresh - Force refreshes the status of the artifacts. When the status of the artifact is changed in the corresponding section, the status will get reflected on the Home screen. If the status is not reflected, click Refresh to force refresh the status of the artifacts.
- Start - To start an already stopped application. When the Start button is clicked, a pop-up window appears where the user can choose the artifacts that are to be started (orchestrations, send ports, receive locations). A tick mark will appear next to the items if the artifacts have started successfully. Once the artifacts have started successfully, click the X button at the top right corner of the page to close the pop-up window.
- Stop - To stop a running application. When the Stop button is clicked, a pop-up window appears where the user can choose the artifacts that are to be stopped (receive locations, orchestrations, send ports). Select the appropriate option from the list. Click the X button at the top right corner of the page to close the pop-up window.
An application with suspended messages will have a red circle icon with the number of suspended messages for that application. When the application name is clicked, in the Home tab of the application, a red bar will display the number of suspended messages for the application with a link to Query Instances. When the Query Instances link is clicked, the system automatically navigates the user to the Message Box (Queries) section. In the Message Box (Queries) section, the query expression is automatically filled up and the query result can be generated by clicking the 'Execute Query' button.
Performing Operations under artifacts section
Based on the user permissions, the users will have the ability to perform operations such as Start/Stop/Enable/Disable/Enlist/Unenlist the artifacts. The user can perform the required operation in 3 different ways:
- Selecting the artifact (checkbox) and clicking on the Operation buttons (Start/Stop/Enable/Disable/Enlist/Unenlist) at the top of the grid
- Selecting the artifact (checkbox). When you do this, you will notice an inline operation showing up right next to the checkbox with the possible operations that you can perform on the artifact.
- Hovering over the record in the Status column - When you hover the mouse over the status column, you will notice the possible operations that can be performed on the selected artifact.
This example shows various operations that can be performed in a Receive Port in the application 'ACME'. Similarly, you can perform operations under other artifacts like Orchestration, Receive Location, Send Port, etc.,
Filter Implementation for Grids
A Filter capability is implemented for the grid columns to do better search from the grid columns. A user can filter the data from the respective rows according to their needs.
The following types of filters have been implemented in the Applications section grid columns:
- Status Filter
- Text Filter
The status filter is used to filter Status columns. The drop down of the filter shows values according the statuses which are displayed in the column. The user can select the status from the drop down and filter accordingly.
This is the most commonly used filter. Using this filter, a user canperform text based search. The text filter has the following options:
- Is equal to
- Is not equal to
- Starts with
- Ends with
- Does not Contains
- Is Null
- Is not null
- Is Empty
- Is not Empty