In addition to monitoring Disks, NT Services etc., BizTalk360 offers monitoring of event logs and configure rules based on their requirements. Event logs are files that record the specific events that happen within the environment. The event logs are normally used to inform about an important event in the running applications and subsystems such as errors, warnings or information. The event log information can be used by administrators for troubleshooting problems.
In BizTalk360, the administrator can configure alerts for a particular event log/source(s) by defining a filter condition on the available event logs and request to be notified, when there are more than a specific number of alerts/warnings from the server. For instance, you can customize the alert in such a way that you must be notified when there has been a sequence of start/stops of the host instances in the past 30 minutes. Without being alerted, you may not know the frequent start/stops of the host instances and this could impact the performance of the environment or be a sign of other problems in the environment.
The administrators can set up monitoring for the event log by defining their filter conditions on the event logs available in the server. Filter conditions can be defined on the following event log fields:
- Event log name
- Event Sources
- Event Id
- Event Log Description
In addition, the administrators can also monitor the event logs by entering the event id of a particular event or by providing an error string to look for in the event log descriptions field. Once the event log information is selected, the threshold violation settings can be entered. This is where you define the amount of found event log entries that match the created criteria for each type (Error, Warning and Information) and the timespan to be analysed during each run of the monitoring service. If you want to ignore a certain type of event log entry from monitoring, you can specify a really large number for the threshold, this is a common approach used when excluding information alerts from monitoring.
Setting up monitoring for Event Logs
- Login to the BizTalk360 application
- Click 'Monitoring' in the navigation panel
- Click the expand button against 'Manage Mapping' tab and depending on the requirement, select the 'BizTalk Servers' link or 'SQL Servers' link
- Select the BizTalk/SQL Server for which you want to set up the monitoring of Event Log Entries
- Select the Alarm name (see Creating an alarm) from the drop down for which you would like to associate the alerts
- At the tab pages at the top, select Event Logs
- Click New Event Log Alert button to set up monitoring for the event logs. You can customize your alert on a specific event log/source
- Click Next to set up notifications when there are more than specific number of alerts/warnings
- Click OK to save the Event log alert information
The BizTalk Server BT360ESB needs to be monitored for certain Event Log entries. Alerts should be received in case, within a time frame of 45 minutes, more than 15 Errors or 20 Warnings or 25 Information events were received from Event Log Sources ADFS Auditing, DRS Auditing and DS, in the Security log.