In this section, we will see how to set up monitoring for BizTalk Receive Locations. As Receive Locations are used for receiving messages from external systems, it is important to make sure the Receive Locations are healthy and running in the expected state to avoid interruptions of the business process.
BizTalk360 assists administrators by monitoring the Receive Locations against a predefined status. For instance, you want to monitor the Receive Locations of the application and want to be alerted when the status becomes Disabled. You can easily configure this, by setting the Expected State of the Receive Location to be 'Enabled'. By doing this, BizTalk360 will trigger an alert as soon as the Receive Location status become Disabled.
An important feature of BizTalk360 monitoring is, that it allows you to set up monitoring for any desired state for your Receive Locations, so not necessarily just healthy running (Enabled) state. So, when you are configuring monitoring for Receive Locations, you can select one of the Expected States from the drop down. The meaning of the states are:
- Enabled – The receive location is expected to be in Enabled state
- Disabled – The receive location is expected to be in Disabled state
- Do not monitor – Selecting this option will disable monitoring for the selected receive location
Setting up Alerts for Receive Locations
You can execute the following steps to set up an alert for the receive locations:
- Log in to the BizTalk360 application
- Click 'Monitoring' in the navigation panel
- Click the expand button against 'Manage Mapping' tab and select the 'Applications' link
- Select the Application for which you want to set up Receive Location monitoring
- Select the Alarm name (see Creating an alarm) from the drop down for which you would like to associate the alerts
- Choose the Receive Locations that you wish to monitor
- Select the check box against these Receive Locations
- Set the value of Expected State by selecting the value from drop down. For instance, if you want to make sure the Receive Location(s) is/are in the Enabled state, set up the value from the drop down list to "Enabled". Once set, if the receive location is not in enabled state, BizTalk360 will send notification
Auto Correct Functionality
With the Auto Correct functionality, administrators can set up monitoring on any "State-based" artifact and let the monitoring service try to automatically heal the artifact any time when there is a mismatch between the "Expected State" and "Current State". For instance, administrators can set up monitoring on the Receive Location(s) of an application and additionally set up the auto correct functionality for the Expected State of the artifact (which should be "Enabled"). Whenever the receive location goes down/gets disabled, there will be a mismatch in the state and the auto correct will try to bring the artifact back to the expected state. If the operation is successful, the artifact will come back to the Expected State within the next monitoring service cycle (60 seconds).
Assuming you are still on the Receive Locations screen, follow below steps to setup Auto Correct for Receive Locations:
- Select the check box of the receive location(s) for which you want to setup Auto Correct, click Auto Correct drop down, and select Enable
- Auto Correct will be enabled for the receive location(s( with the default values for Max Retry as 5 and Retry Count as 0
From the Health Monitor alarm, all Receive Locations of the BizTalk EDI application need to be monitored. The current state is Disabled, but the Expected state is Enabled. Also, Auto Correct needs to be Enabled
When a Receive Location goes down
Attempt 1 - Auto correct will attempt to bring the receive location in the expected state for the first time during the monitoring cycle. (Max Retry : 5, Attempt Count : 1). Let's assume the attempt was unsuccessful. You will receive an Auto Correction Alert email with the information. At this point, the monitoring dashboard will display the state of the artifact as Critical (2). When you click on the count, you will notice the auto correction steps that have been performed on the artifact Attempt 2 - Auto correct will attempt a retry for the second time during the next monitoring cycle (Max Retry : 5, Attempt Count : 2). Let's again assume the attempt was unsuccessful. You will receive the second auto correction email with the information Attempt 3 - Auto correct will attempt a retry for the third time during the next monitoring cycle (Max Retry : 5, Attempt Count : 3). Let's assume this attempt was successful. You will receive the third auto correction email with the information. Within the next few seconds, the monitoring dashboard will display the state of the artifact as healthy. Lastly, the attempt count will reset to 0 (Max Retry : 5, Attempt Count : 0)
Remove Orphaned Receive Locations
BizTalk360 provides the ability to remove Orphaned Artifacts from the UI. Say for instance, you have configured monitoring for artifacts like receive locations, send ports, orchestrations, SQL jobs etc., and later you either rename them or remove them completely in your environments. By doing so, the artifacts configured for monitoring move to an Orphaned state. These orphaned artifacts can be removed right from the UI by clicking the 'Remove Orphaned' button.