- 16 Oct 2020
- 1 Minute to read
- Updated on 16 Oct 2020
- 1 Minute to read
For a healthy BizTalk environment, it’s important to keep an eye on the number of service instances in the environment. Having a large number of suspended service instances will bloat your message box database and adversely affect the overall performance of your environment. In some cases it could be an issue with the environment, ex: If the host instance is not started and you get messages that kick off the service instances, then those instances will be in a "Ready to Run" state until the host instance is started. If no one starts that host instance, the service instances are going to get accumulated bloating the message box.
Typically support people keep an eye on the service instances count via the BizTalk Administrator group hub page. But it’s not the ideal solution for a human being to always keep an eye on this count. The person who is monitoring this, need to be a BizTalk expert and understand the importance of each state. The group hub page only displays the instance count and it won't tell you whether they are expected count or not.
The service instances can be in any of the below states:
- Ready to Run
- Suspended, Resumable
- Suspended, Non-resumable
BizTalk360 allows you to set the Warning and Error threshold levels (instances count) for each one of the above states at the application level. Once the number of instances increases above the threshold, the system will send a notification alert.
Setting Up Alerts For Service Instances
- Log in to the BizTalk360 application
- Click 'Monitoring' in the environment panel
- Click the expand button against 'Manage Mapping' tab and click the 'Applications' link
- Select the Application for which you want to set up the monitoring
- Select the Alarm name (see Manage Alarms) from the drop-down for which you would like to associate the alerts
- Choose the Service Instance States and enable the toggle button against the service instance state
- You can edit the Warning threshold and Error threshold levels by clicking the row for which you want to set the thresholds
- Click 'Save'